The DBU Ethics and Anti-Corruption Directorate was establish in march 2002 E.C. Under the proclamation number 144/2000 which was established to play paramount rule in the overall Development of the DBU through effective movement of fighting corruption and improprieties, which defined as any abuse of apposition of trust in order to gain an undue advantage.
Vision Mission, principles & core values
The Vision of DBU Ethics and anticorruption Directorate is to ensure that corruption is no longer an impediment to enhancing development and good governance in DBU by creating a lightly Ethical society that is resolute in combating corruption un waveringly.
The mission is to ensure that the University’s resources go to the desired development projects by expending ethics and anti-corruption education, examining the practices and working procedures in public offices and enterprises and there by plugging loopholes that are believed to be conducive for corruption, exposing, investigating and prosecuting alleged corruption offences where they are committed in public offices and public enter praises.
The DBU Ethics & Anti-corruption Directorate promotes the following principles:- Integrity, loyalty, transparency, confidentiality, honesty, Accountability, serving public interest, exercising legitimate authority, impartiality, respecting the low, responsiveness, & exercising leadership.
DBU Ethics & Anti-corruption Directorate also promotes the following values.
- Sheraing as an ethical model,
- Showing the maximum determination and perseverance in fighting corruption.
- Upholding professionalism and team work,
- Being an equal opportunity employer,
- Recognizing the public as a major partner in the fightagainst corruption and
- Building an ethical society.
Objectives of DBU Ethics & Anticorruption Directorate.
Endeavor to create public employees who do not condone corruption education, work discipline, professional ethics, Consciousness of serving the public and sense of duty among employees.
Prevent corruption and impropriety in public offices and public enterprises.
Endeavor to cause acts of corruption and impropriety to exposed and investigated and appropriate actions are taken against the perpetrators.
- Raise the awareness of officers and staff of a university on anti-corruption policies, anti-corruption laws, regulations and directives, good conduct and harmful effects of corruption.
- Follow up the observance of anti-corruption policies, anti-corruption laws and rules and procedures of the university; and advise the university president on their implementation.
- In cooperation with the appropriate departments prepare and cause the adoption of the code of conduct of officers and employees of the university and follow-up its implementation.
- Initiate and submit research proposals to the commission (directorate) and make the university president know the same immediately, conduct research on ways of correcting working methods vulnerable to corruption and impropriety in its own or with the cooperation of others and submit recommendations to the university and, upon approval, follow-up its implementation.
- In cooperation with the appropriate departments advise the university president on ways of improving the governance and service delivery of the university with a view to madding them responsive to the demands of the public, see to the demands of the public, see to it that there is no partiality in service deliveries, and report to the head of the office or enterprise on any findings of such partiality;
- Record and report to the commission and make the head of the president of the university know the same immediately, any incident of corruption it has observed or brought to its attention through whistle blowing, and follow up the status of the case.
- Advise the president on ways of promoting ethics, strengthening sense of duty and the protection of employees from reprisal measures so as to encourage disclosure of corruption, and follow-up the implementation of same.
- Receive and verify reports on ethical violations in accordance with the rules and directives of the office or the enterprise and submit to the head of the office or enterprise recommendations on further investigation and measures to be taken, and follow-up the implementation of same.
- Where it believes that the ethical violation referred to in sub-article (8) of this Article is serious or it is found to be serious after investigation, report same to the commission immediately and make the university president know the same.
- Where it believes the rules and procedures are violated with respect to recruitment, promotion, transfer or training of employees, procurement of goods or services or the execution of other contracts, it shall report to the head of the office or enterprise with its recommendation on the rectification of the irregularities, and follow-up the implementation of same.
- Oversee that no influence is made on an employee who exposed corruption and ethical infractions: report to the head of the office or enterprise with concrete evidence the act of any person who influence or punish of attempted to influence of punish such employee, and follows up measures taken against him, where the influence is from the head of the university president, it shall report to the commission or the relevant organ of investigation;
- Remind the president that employees deliberate on the current ethical issues and problems of the university.
- Follow-up measures taken bases on its findings or that of external of internal auditors as well as the reports of disciplinary and grievance committees and decisions based thereon, and report the same to the head of the office or enterprise with copies to the commission and the supervising authority of the university.
- Maintain list and detail information of officers and employees of the university who may be regarded as vanguard and exemplary in combating corruption and impropriety; make the head know about the circumstance and submit the same to the commission when requested.
- Coordinate activities regarding the promotion of ethics and combating corruption and impropriety in the university.
- Prepare, and submit to the president and the commission, annual plan, program and budget for its activities, and implement the same upon approval;
- Prepare and submit to the president with copy to the commission, quarterly and annual performance reports including problems encountered and measures taken to overcome them.
- Carry out other duties related to ethical issued specifically given to it in accordance with the respect of the law.