Health professionals must maintain, update and enhance their knowledge, skills, and attitude to adequately deliver quality health care. This is particularly important due to a changing disease pattern in which diseases that had been eradicated are now reemerging, as well as an increase of non-communicable diseases. There is a need for CPD to maintain professional competence in an environment of numerous challenges, rapid organizational changes, information technology, increasing public expectations and demand for quality and greater accountability. CPD program is a new initiative in Ethiopia which requires the commitment of different stakeholders (accreditors, CPD providers, ministry of health, regional health office and partners). DebreBerhan University, institute of medicine and health science accreditation office was established in November/2019 and is a corner stone to go one step forward for the institute.
Vision, Mission and Value of DBU, Institute of medicine and health science CPD-accreditation office
- To be one of the leading CPD accreditors of Ethiopia by 2025
- To establish a highly effective system that assures quality delivery of CPD in CPD Provider organizations.
- Assuring quality health care delivery in various level of health institutions through maintaining up-to-date competency of health practitioners
- Creating a balance and checking system between CPD a creditor and providers
- Ensures trainings are need based and have right approaches in the design, development and delivery process.
- Ensures timely planning and effective coordination and implementation and creates proper training monitoring and evaluation system.
- Maintain the uniformity of the competency outcomes and quality of the trainings that leads to health services delivery quality.
- Team working
- Quality care
- Professional ethics
Structure and staffing of the accreditation office
- Accreditation office director
- Accreditation office secretary
- Panel of experts
- Human resource director
- Training center coordinator
- Delegates from different departments
Roles and responsibilities of the accreditation office
- reviewapplications foraccreditationofCPDservice providers andCPDcourses
- monitorcompliancewiththe guidelines
- Revisecontinuingeducationunits(CEUs)allocatedwhere the provider failedto complywith theguideline
- Monitor andevaluate CPD providers and submit an annualreporttotheministry
- InvestigatecomplaintsagainstCPDProvidersandtake necessaryadministrative measures
- Submit accreditedCPDactivitiestotheMinistryfor codingand uploadingonthe website.